Ireland: Cranachan (Toasted Almond, Honey and Whiskey Cream): March 8, 2007
Almost all Celtic countries have a dessert that's a variation on this theme: cream, oatmeal, honey, fruit, sometimes nuts, and the local firewater -- in this case, Irish whiskey.
- 1/3 cup / 50g flaked almonds
- 2/3 cup / 50g medium oatmeal
- 1 1/4 cup / 300 ml whipping cream or heavy double cream
- 4 tablespoons honey, to taste
- 4 tablespoons / 60ml Irish whiskey
- 1 tablespon / 15ml lemon juice
Toast the almonds and oatmeal in a dry frying pan until golden.
Whip the cream in a bowl: stir in the honey and whiskey. Fold in the almonds and oatmeal, and finally the lemon juice. Serve in tall glasses, garnished with raspberries.